Date:      Sun, 21 Oct 2001 19:47:57 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Allen Landsidel <all@biosys.net>
Cc:        Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ICQ with NAT problems

Allen Landsidel writes:
> At 02:48 PM 10/21/2001 +1000, Kal Torak wrote:
> >Thanks for the replies, but let me make it clear what I
> >am saying..
[...]
> So, you have two options.
>
> #1 Run a Socks proxy.  You have said you (for whatever reason, it's really
> not a bad idea) don't want to do this.
>
> #2 Configure ICQ to use a certain range of listening TCP ports.  Use a
> different port range on each machine that will be running ICQ, and
> configure NAT to forward connections to these ports appropriately.
>
> I've done both things on connections from a T1 all the way down to 28.8kbps
> multiuser modem connection, and they work fine.. I really would suggest the
> proxy though, they exist to solve just such problems.. trying other methods
> is really a bit like trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole;
> You're behind NAT, and you have to deal with it.

What am I missing about the problem that the punch_fw option in natd is
not supposed to deal with? Is my understanding ICQ is only a particular
implementation of IRC?

natd(1) says:

     -punch_fw basenumber:count
                 This option directs natd to ``punch holes'' in an
                 ipfirewall(4) based firewall for FTP/IRC DCC connections.
                 This is done dynamically by installing temporary firewall
                 rules which allow a particular connection (and only that con-
                 nection) to go through the firewall.  The rules are removed
                 once the corresponding connection terminates.

I don't do IRC or allow it thru my firewalls. But the above works very
well for me to allow non-passive ftp out. I don't allow all outgoing
connections from any internal port simply because this way I've stopped
a number of spyware agents which were not smart enough to link on port
80 or something.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net