Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2002 21:43:16 +0100
From:      Stephen Roome <stephen_SPAM_roome@pepcross.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   BT848 docs

Hi,

I'm trying to write an application that uses the bktr driver but I'm
now looking for some documentation. So far I've been working with the
souce for fxtv/xawtv and the driver itself, but the features that I
want aren't obviously in use in these programs.

I'm guessing that the lack of docs is because the very few people that
write much code to use the bt848+tuner have been reading this mailing
list since long before the meteor driver even existed.

For docs, I'm looking for something akin to this : (but relevant to
BSD) http://alpha.dyndns.org/ov511/v4l_api.html

I'd also like to know..

How to get signal strength out of my tuner, the TVTUNER_GETSTATUS only
ever seems to return 120->124 but this doesn't seem to reliably be
concerned with whether it's actually tuned in or not. METEORGSIGNAL
(which looked like I hopeful case) doesn't work for me. (ioctl returns
-1)

Also is it possible to obtain some sort of raw access to the data, I
think I mean to bypass the dma stuff in the driver (or tell the driver
to ignore syncs and vbi and just pass me unadulterated bits from the
tuner), but I wouldn't want to have to do the dma myself (I don't
think so anyway, I just don't know how one would go about it.)

I think really what I'm aiming for is the ability to tune the tuner to
xMHz then to have an ioctl to tell me what strength signal the card
thinks it's got and then some device that I could just read() in the
style of say /dev/dsp.

Ta, any help appreciated,

        Steve Roome

P.S. I'm not subscribed to the list, but can follow from archive