Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 2004 13:40:34 -0500
From:      Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@tcbug.org>
To:        Shaun Friedle <shaun@insipidity.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GeForce FX 5800 Ultra with Nvidia Drivers on 5.2

On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 06:50:38PM +0100, Shaun Friedle wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 17:14, Doug Poland wrote:
> I built a custom kernel but can't tell you if that was required as I did that
> > before disabling ACPI.
>
> Well, if I disable SMP, I seem to be going in the right direction as
> the machine no longer locks up.

Ditto here.

> > Unfortunately, I cannot disable ACPI on this ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe board
> > as the kernel dumps on errors 9 every time.

Haven't tried that yet.

> Well, I'm obviously very unlucky since I have an Asus P4C800 Deluxe and get the
> same thing! The message is:
>
> Fatal trap 9: general protection fault while in kernel mode
> instruction pointer	= 0x58: 0x2d5c
> stack pointer		= 0x10: 0xf80
> frame pointer		= 0x10: 0x0
> code segment		= base 0xc00f000, limit 0xffff, type 0x1b
> 			= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 0, gran 0
> processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
> current process		= 0 (swapper)
> trap number		= 0
> panic: general protection fault
>

> > So for me, ACPI was the key.  If I could just get this bloody ASUS board
> > to boot without ACPI I think I'd be in business.
>
> I think you're right. After searching on Google for a while (as I am sure you have done)
> I have found no solution.
>
> > Good luck to you and I'd appreciate any info you have if successful.
>
> I don't think I'm going to be able to solve this. Hopefully it will be fixed soon, apparently
> the problem is "5.x has grown a regression in its handling of BIOS32 calls somehow". I found
> that in this thread: http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-March/023392.html
>
> > Shaun Friedle
> shaun@insipidity.co.uk

My issue is that SMP + Nvidia Drivers + GF4 ti 4200 + 5.2.1-RELEASE,
4.10-RELEASE or -STABLE or CURRENT hangs the system.  I've mailed the
-questions mailing list once, and found someone with the exact same issue that
I am having, but I suspect it's arcane enough that no one is going to try to
fix it.  For now running the nv driver is acceptable.

Josh Paetzel