Date:      Sat, 19 Jun 1999 23:08:32 -0300 (EST)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
To:        justin@apple.com
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multiple ethernet frames for IPX

#define quoting(Justin C. Walker)
//   I understand how routing works.  What I'm missing is how the
// sending host (whether originator or forwarder) decides how to
// encapsulate a frame, i.e., in your case, how to chose which virtual
// device to use.  Is it the case that the network number determines the
// encapsulation?  Is ARP used, and if so, does the ARP reply dictate
// how to encapsulate?

  Routing choses interface, interface defines frame.  Just think of
diferent packet frames as virtual networks, completely isolated from
each other.  If you need to share traffic, you must use a (one armed)
router.

//   I never bothered to figure out the answers to these questions for
// IP (which can be encapsulated in E-2 or 802.3/SNAP).

  If routing decides to send via E-2 interface, it will receive an
E-2 frame, and vice-versa.  Note that each frame should have its own
subnet, completely independent from each other.

// > interface knows about frames.
//   I guess this is an answer to the question: network numbers
// determine encapsulation.  Is that true?

  Yes.

					Jonny

--
João Carlos Mendes Luís			jonny@jonny.eng.br