Date:      Sun, 13 Nov 2005 10:07:29 +0100
From:      Michael Nottebrock <lofi@freebsd.org>
To:        Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, nork@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Integrated DEBUG related macros to WITH_DEBUG/WITHOUT_DEBUG

--nextPart23100702.K2XxiKni0Q

On Sunday, 13. November 2005 09:16, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 09:00:21AM +0100, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> > I don't think it's a good idea at all to unify all debug knobs
> > into one universal WITH/WITHOUT_DEBUG - it requires the user to use a
> > third party portmanager utilitiy or fiddling with conditionals in
> > make.conf if he wants debug symbols on specific ports only.
>
> Well that goes for the other knobs as well of course -- WITH_PERL,
> WITH_PYTHON and other programming extension languages come to mind, as
> do NOPORTDOCS and WITHOUT_GUI (there are some things that I don't need
> a GUI for on my desktop).

And people have expressed their unhappiness with that status quo repeatedly=
,=20
especially in the context of OPTIONS.

One very promising proposed solution was to extend the OPTIONS framework to=
=20
support NO_OPTIONS_<portname> and WITH|WITHOUT_<option_choice>_<portname>.

I agree that this is the way to go - making the currently available switche=
s=20
even more ambiguous just in order to get more content into KNOBS is=20
contraproductive.

=2D-=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org