Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 2014 14:36:18 -0800
From:      Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ENXIOing non-present battery

On 12/12/14 07:21, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Thursday, December 11, 2014 01:05:49 PM Colin Percival wrote:
>> On 12/11/14 11:08, John Baldwin wrote:
>>> Does setting hint.battery.1.disabled=1 work for you?
>>
>> That fixes the dev.battery sysctls and KDE's battery monitor.  The
>> hw.acpi.battery.units sysctl still reports "2", and `acpiconf -i 1`
>> still reports the phantom battery; but I suppose those don't matter
>> much...
>
> Ok.  That is the "generic" thing we already have in place to disable devices,
> so I'd probably prefer to use that as the known workaround rather than adding
> another knob.

OK, I'll stick to using that one.  My original thinking was that disabling
"whatever isn't present" would avoid the need for a user to figure out which
number it was; but it's probably safe to assume that batteries will always
be probed in the same order...

> That said, it looks like we report the userland state of "not
> present" correctly.  I wonder if the bug is in KDE itself and its
> FreeBSD-specific power management bits (rather than hald)?

The FreeBSD-specific userland bits are in hald.

--
Colin Percival