Date:      Tue, 29 May 2001 09:21:05 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Brent Bailey <brentb@loa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NAT question

Brent Bailey wrote:

> IM running a FBSD 4.3 box as a firewall gateway  w/ PPPoE & NATd &
> IPFW...anyway everything seems to be ok
> although i keep getting an error message saying,
>
> "natd[109] failed to write packet back permission denied"
>
> can anyone give me an idea what this means ??

You've got some sort of loop in the firewall/NAT system. Basically, NAT
is translating a packet that's destined for the local machine, then
getting itself into trouble trying to deliver the packet. (at least, if
I remember correctly ...)
My experience with this is it's caused by nonsesnse broadcast traffic.
You can eliminate it by tightening down the firewall to ignore a lot of
traffic (stuff like SMB broadcasts) It doesn't seem to hurt performance
noticably, though.

-Bill