Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 1999 18:01:59 +0100
From:      "Pål Sommerhein" <pms@jancomulti.com>
To:        Kenneth Legg <sce04020@mail.wvnet.edu>
Subject:   Re: vi: command not found

Kenneth Legg wrote:

> I write a script in vi and make it executable, using chmod +x filename
> or chmod 777 filename, but when I try to execute the script by typing
> the script name I
> get the error message: Command not found. What am I doing wrong.

Hi

The directory where your file resides is not in your PATH environment
variable.  The solution is to type:
   ./filename

If this script will be in regular use, I suggest you make yourself a
directory bin in your home directory.  Then put your scripts there.
The ~/bin directory should be included in your PATH environment
variable by default.  If it is, you can start up your script
from any directory by just typing:
    scriptname

Hope this helps,
Paal