Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 2004 20:09:29 +0200
From:      "Julian D. Seifert" <alamar@alamar.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   how to mount /dev/ad0s1?

Hi guys,
I have a 40gb harddisk with 2 windows(fat32) partitions and 1 fbsd partition.
I am using fbsd 5.2.1(with devfs).
/dev/ad0 tells me the first partition on my harddisk is a windows fat32
partition (as it should be). When i try to mount it with:

"mount -t msdos /dev/ad0s1 /mnt/win_c" or
"mount -t msdosfs /dev/ad0s1 /mnt/win_c" or
"mount_msdosfs /dev/ad0s1 /mnt/win_c"

I get the error:

msdosfs: /dev/ad0s1: Invalid argument

I tried a script from freesbie that tries to mount all mountable devices.
It identifies ad0s1 as windows partition and tries to mount it but also fails - the error the script gets i don`t know, but i assume it is the same
one. I don`t have a /dev/ad0s1e.

Now the real weird and annoying thing:
i can mount the extended windows partition(/dev/ad0s5) with:

mount -t msdosfs /dev/ad0s5 /mnt/win_d

without any erros.
I don`t know why but hopefully some of you guys know ;).
mfg Julian `alamar` Seifert

--
Every rule has an exception, except the rule of exceptions.
gpg fingerprint: