Date:      Wed, 1 May 2002 21:37:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Glendon Gross <gross@xinetd.ath.cx>
To:        Sten <sten@blinkenlights.nl>
Cc:        Guido Kollerie <gkoller@chello.nl>, Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3Com 3c905C-TX

Out of curiosity, do only 3c509's exibit this behavior, or is this
the core problem with 3c59x's as well?  My experiences have not
been consistent with these cards, and I had assumed it was due
to buggy code in the 3-Com chipset.  I've noticed flaky behavior from the
"Vortex" [3c59x] card as well.

Just now I have been wrestling with an ISA 3c509 which has
a Lucent 40-01304 chip on it.  At first the card was detected, and
later not detected [on a different OS.]    I vote for the fxp's as
well, I've had hardly any problems with them.

Is there a way to lock down the card by hacking the driver, so it won't
try to auto-negotiate the connection?