Date:      Sun, 5 Mar 2000 17:26:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Dean <brdean@unx.sas.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
Cc:        bwoods2@uswest.net, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Make world error.....

The perl script h2ph does not exit immediately on des.h, it sets it's
$Exit value to 1, but continues processing.  If the original poster
would check further back in his log file, he'll see:

[...]
===> gnu/usr.bin/perl/utils/h2ph
install -c  -o root -g wheel -m 555   h2ph /usr/bin
install -c -o root -g wheel -m 444 h2ph.1.gz  /usr/share/man/man1
cd /usr/include;  miniperl /usr/obj/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/utils/h2ph/h2ph -d
 /usr/libdata/perl/5.00503/mach * */*
Skipping directory `arpa'
Skipping directory `cam'
Can't open des.h: No such file or directory
Skipping directory `dev'
Skipping directory `g++'
Skipping directory `isofs'
Skipping directory `machine'
Skipping directory `msdosfs'
[...]
vm/vm_prot.h -> vm/vm_prot.ph
vm/vm_zone.h -> vm/vm_zone.ph
vm/vnode_pager.h -> vm/vnode_pager.ph
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/utils/h2ph.
*** Error code 1

Unfortunately, I don't remember if the thing des.h pointed to
(openssl/des.h) existed at the time.  After I modified h2ph to not
complain about that file, I did another make world a little bit later,
and it completed without incident.  I suspected that I had merely
sup'd at a bad time and just caught things in transition.

-Brian