Date:               Fri, 30 Aug 1996 09:14:05 +600 CDT
From:      "Larry Dolinar" <LARRYD@bldg1.croute.com>
To:        owner-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:         eR: Re: TCP/IP incoming falling asleep?

|  From:           Darius Moos <moos@degnet.baynet.de>

|  Hi,
|
|  have you tried to assign every printerport its own IRQ in the
|  kernel-configfile ?

Actually, no.  When originally configured, lpt0 was irq 7, lpt1 was
polled (as was lpt2 when it was alive).  Under these conditions, lpt0 was
extremely sluggish.  The traditional advice for that situation was to
switch the interrupt-driven port to polled with lptcontrol (has this
changed?).  And in fact printing worked equally well on each port.

My experience in the past is that interrupt problems show themselves
fairly early (as in minutes) rather than late.  Perhaps I need to
reconsider...

Some advice was issued previously about hacking the interrupt lines
directly on the board(s) based on ISA bus layout.  Though an EE by
degree, I use it little in the past few years, and I'm loathe to chop on
company property as an experiment, especially if it fails, so that
approach is so far postponed.

Nonetheless I can boot -c this weekend and reconfig the running kernel to
use irq7 for lpt0 and irq5 for lpt1, and see how it flies.

thanks for the advice,
larry