Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2012 16:40:02 GMT
From:      Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@ShaneWare.Biz>
To:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/161968: [zfs] [hang] renaming snapshot with -r including a zvol snapshot causes total ZFS freeze/lockup

The following reply was made to PR kern/161968; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@ShaneWare.Biz>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, peter.maloney@brockmann-consult.de
Subject: Re: kern/161968: [zfs] [hang] renaming snapshot with -r including
 a zvol snapshot causes total ZFS freeze/lockup
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 01:59:46 +0930

 I am running 9.0-RELEASE-p1 amd64 clang built world and get a hang with
 zfs rename -r. I find anything already running mostly keeps running (top
 started before the rename will hang) but any (uncached?) disk access
 will cause running progs to hang as well. No new progs can start not
 even a console login. I need to hard reset.

 Hardware is an ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3 with corei5 and 8GB RAM using a
 WD10EARS-00Y5B1 (WD green 1TB SATA2).
 Partitioned with 1 64k boot partition and 1 zfs partition. Single disk
 zpool. The volume I have is allocated to swap.

 The commands I used for the volume are -
 zfs create -V 16G zrp/swap0
 zfs set org.freebsd:swap=on zrp/swap0
 zfs set copies=1 zrp/swap0

  From a clean pool with no snapshots -