Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 1996 11:26:01 -1000
From:      richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk)
To:        Mike Newell <mnewell@newell.arlington.va.us>, Hardware list at FreeBSD <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Dead quantum story

} I've had several drives in the past that seem to have gotten stuck for
} some reason or another.  In one the end of the spindle was actually
} exposed, so I could reach in and give it a twist to get it started [sort
} of a jump start :-)].  In others I've been able to recover data by taking
} the drive out and twisting it parallel to the spindle quickly back and
} forth; that seemed to be enough the break the spindle free.  I then
} IMMEDIATELY do a backup and trash the drive - drives are cheap, data
} usually isn't... :-)!!
}

I've had a number of drives that required some physical prodding to get
them spinning again.  Most of them are still in service -- I just mostly
don't turn them off.

If you intent to trash your drive(s) just because they don't always
spin up then please send them to me!

Richard