Date:      Wed, 04 Apr 2001 02:49:22 -0500
From:      "Matthew Rezny" <mrezny@umr.edu>
To:        "net@freebsd.org" <net@freebsd.org>, "stable@freebsd.org" <stable@freebsd.org>, "isp@freebsd.org" <isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Intel Gigabit NIC problem

I'm posting this to a few lists that I hope I might get some info from.

I have been using the fxp driver for quite a while with good results, so when it came time to get some gigabit stuff I
looked and saw the wx driver. I decided it would be convenient to stick with Intel for several reasons. So now I have a
handful of Compaq NC3131 boards with NC6132 modules.

The NC3131 is a 64bit PCI card with a DEC 21154 (later revs have a chip stamped Intel but its id is the same as the
DEC) PCI bridge and a couple Intel 82558 chips. It also has an expansion connector. The NC6132 module plugs onto
this card to add a gigabit fiber port. The docs say its an Intel 82542 chip, though the actual chip on the boards are
stamped LSI.

I put them in a few machines here. A couple are x86 boxes with Windows 2000 and/or Linux, for which the Intel drivers
work and they interconnect fine. The other is an Alpha running FreeBSD 4.2. The fxp and wx drivers load fine, but I have
problems when I connect the gigabit port to another one of the machines. The FreeBSD machine repeated prints
"wx0: receive sequence error" while the other machine is overwhelmed with 100% kernel/system CPU usage such
that its barely responsive.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on, if there's any hope of fixing this, and what the solution would be? Thanks.