Date:      Tue, 7 Sep 2004 22:30:50 -0400
From:      "JJB" <Barbish3@adelphia.net>
To:        "David Syphers" <dsyphers@u.washington.edu>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: 5.3 & ipfilter

owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 September 2004 05:03 pm, fbsd_user wrote:
>> Is there still a loadable module that gets auto loaded at boot
time
>> when rc.conf contains the ipfilter_enable="YES" statement like in
>> 4.10?
>
> ipfilter_enable is still an option in rc.conf.
>
>> Will the final stable version still need kernel option PFIL_HOOKS
>> added to the other ipfilter kernel options to compile ipfilter
into
>> the kernel like in the 5.2 and 5.2.1 development versions or will
>> 5.3 return to the way 4.10 worked (IE no PFIL_HOOKS option
needed)?

> I'm not sure, but 5.3-BETA3 does require PFIL_HOOKS. The change
made
> to -CURRENT to always include PFIL_HOOKS (and thus remove it as a
> kernel option) was made after RELENG_5 was branched, and the
commit
> log doesn't mention merging that change to RELENG_5.
>
> -David

David
Thanks for your reply. But you did not answer my first question. I
did not ask if ipfilter_enable="YES" was still valid in 5.3, but if
the ipfilter bootable module is still included in 5.3 and auto
loaded by the ipfilter_enable="YES" in rc.conf?

Since 5.3 is currently going through the weekly testing cycle as
prep for becoming stable I would think this is the appropriate time
to submit a 5.3 bug report to change the default kernel source so it
contains the PFIL_HOOKS.