Date:      Mon, 18 Jul 2016 13:27:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <danm@prime.gushi.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Way to have portsnap follow the same ports tree PKG uses?

Hey all,

There's some disconnect between the ports tree and pkg-ng -- there's no
good, easy way to say "I want to build this port with some custom options,
but I want all the dependencies installed via pkg.  (You can get run-time
dependencies by installing it and removing it, then building your port --
but this still doesn't help build-time dependencies, which usually result
in a string of "crap, crap, ctrl-c, pkg-install [build dependency], rinse
repeat"

That said, since recent versions of FreeBSD started following the
quarterly build cycles, it means that if you build a port against whatever
portstap pulls in, it can potentially require newer versions of libraries
than what you sanely have installed.

My question is: is there a way to have portsnap pull down the same
"quarterly" that the pkg tree is being built against?  And if so, can it
be made the default?

-Dan