Date:      Sat, 4 Sep 1999 10:10:27 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Kip Macy <kip@lyris.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gdb and source forking

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, Kip Macy wrote:

> I have not looked closely, but it appears that the changes to bfd to
> support the solib.c changes have been quite extensive. The diff of the
> .c files in bfd/ is 7000 lines long.
>
> I know that interacting with the FSF can be unenjoyable but gdb compiles
> and runs fine on all other OSs I have used. So if the solaris and linux
> crowds can keep the modifications consistent why can't we?
> Thanks for any insight.

We have have not made any significant changes to bfd. We are using
binutils-2.9.1 in our tree since 2.9.2 has not been released (gdb-4.18 was
based on a snapshot of 2.9.2).

The linux folks often just bundle patches with the gdb sources which is
not much different from us importing FSF sources into our CVS tree. We can
generate diffs from the virgin FSF sources very easily.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com