Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 1995 06:23:21 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Jerry.Kendall@vmicls.com (Jerry Kendall)
Cc:        julian@ref.tfs.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compiling Linux Binaries under FreeBSD

> Not a complaint here, BUT, why would someone want to
> compile and run all the LINUX binaries while running FreeBSD ???

I don't think there are many good reasons.  In fact, I'll run the risk
of offending a few people by saying that it'd be downright stupid.

Being able to RUN Linux binaries is a perfectly good idea, if only so
that you don't have to go bowing and scraping to every application
vendor who doesn't even see FreeBSD as a blip on their screens to
somehow do a native port.  If we can run the Linux version of their
software, we win.  Sure, we'd like native ports of everything under
the sun but it just ain't going to happen unless we happen to grow to
ten times our current size and also populate the bookstores with
enough FreeBSD books to deforest half of Borneo, as Linux has managed
to do.  Those are the kinds of things that sway a ISV (well, that or a
very fat contract from someone demanding such support).

But linux emulation doesn't mean that we have to go whole-hog and make
it possible to cross compile an entire working Linux system from a
FreeBSD box.  That's what I referred to as stupid.  It would be far
easier and *less failure prone* to simply load Linux on its own
partition and switch over.  The introduction of ext2fs into -current
also makes the idea of sharing files and other resources while booted
into one or the other much more practical.

I'm sure if someone really worked hard enough they could probably come
up with a reasonably convincing argument for how a full linux
cross-compilation environment would make their lives easier, but it's
take a lot more than that to convince me that this makes sense for the
general populace.  Being able to run things like Linux Wingz,
WordPerfect or the Caldera desktop - now THAT makes sense.

					Jordan