Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 1999 23:12:23 +1100
From:      Jim Mock <jim@corp.au.triax.com>
To:        Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
Cc:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WindowMaker

On Tue, 09 Feb 1999 at 21:21:29 +1000, Greg Black wrote:

[snip..]

> > Window Maker is not flawed in getting between desktops.
>
> If my customers tell me that it's flawed, then it is flawed.
> End of discussion.
>
> > There is however no pager which may be what you're used to.
> > Coming from AfterStep I was used to that and initially disliked
> > the fact that Window Maker didn't have one as well.  I've since
> > found using a pager to be awkward.
>
> That's obviously personal preference.  I'm used to using both
> keys and mice for that (my preferred window manager is fvwm2
> which is good that way but is unfortunately broken under
> FreeBSD-2.2.8) -- but my customers, who are the people I have to
> please when I set up systems, want a pager.

[more snipped..]

> For reasons that aren't important here, they want to use the
> mouse rather than compound keyboard tricks.  That's their
> choice, but it all adds up to windowmaker not being a suitable
> tool.  I was just curious to see if it had perhaps adopted a
> pager for this kind of user, because the rest of the program is
> really very nice and would have been a good choice.  I'm not
> about to go badmouthing it because it doesn't do what these
> people need, I was just curious about its current direction.

I don't know of anything planned in the development itself, but
there's a dockapp pager (why not, everything else exists as a dockapp,
even tetris =)) that you might find useful.  You can get it from
http://www.linuxbox.com/~bac/

I haven't tried compiling it, but I will in the morning, and if I can
get it working, I'll submit a port of it.

--
: Jim Mock			| [jim@corp.au.triax.com]	:
: System Administrator		| http://www.triax.com/		: