Date:      Sat, 01 Jul 2000 14:53:45 +1200
From:      Mark Ibell <marki@paradise.net.nz>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Fwd: telnet/tcp problems in 4.0-RELEASE]

It does appear to be a dns problem after all. After renaming resolv.conf
to resolv.conf.bak the problem is cured, although only hosts in the
hosts file can be looked up. The strange thing is that both the
'nslookup' & 'host' commands both appeared to retrieve the correct
information from the dns server (for both forward and reverse lookups)
on our network. The dns server could be a tad broken at it is running
RedHat Linux.

Another strange thing I discovered was that 'telnet localhost' caused
nameserver queries, even though host.conf has the default 'hosts' then
'bind' order. This 'telnet localhost' took 75 seconds to even connect,
all this when 'nslookup localhost' & 'nslookup 127.0.0.1' work fine. Oh
well, ...