Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 2020 13:35:50 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@kukulies.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: concluding from dd raw dump size to disk mfgr

On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 09:40:00 +0200, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> I made a dd dump of a raw disk device the other day. The size of the=20
> dump is exactly
>=20
> 500107862016 bytes in size, corresponding to 997773168=A0 sectors (512byt=
es).
>=20
> I would like to dump this file back to a physical device. Best would be=20
> the one which fits exactly that size. Unfortunately I presently don't=20
> know what drive mfgr./type this corresponds to. Is there a way to find ou=
t?

A convenient way is to use the following command:

	# diskinfo -v <device>

Also check the corresponding entry in the "dmesg" output.

Note that AF devices might prefer a sector size of 4kB (4039
instead of 512 bytes). When you transfer data back using dd,
you can often choose a better suited block size, usually in
the range of several MBs. :-)

--=20
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany