Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 1999 01:50:03 +0200
From:      Stefan Bethke <stefan.bethke@hanse.de>
To:        CXsar Bravo <lupus@usp.br>, cesar@4pro.com.br
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The sh shell

--On Don, 22. Apr 1999 20:14 Uhr -0300 CXsar Bravo <lupus@usp.br> wrote:

> I need the "sh shell" to compile Perl 5.005 to a Linux box. Linuxes here
> only provide the "sh shell" as a link to /usr/bin/bash and, when I try to
> process the configuration with this link the system displays a infinite
> loop of the message "command not found".
>
> Can you send a copy of the source code of  "sh shell" so I can compile it
> in the Linux machine?

1. Take your time to research the proper mailing list addresses for asking
questions about FreeBSD.  I think you will hvae learned this by now by the
number of non-friendly replies to your request.

2. FreeBSD includes, in it's base installation, perl in it's current
version.  I suggest you install FreeBSD on your system instead of Linux.
See
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html for details.

3. FreeBSD ist *not* Linux.  You'll probably be better off asking such
questions in a Linux-specific forum, such as the many newsgroups on Linux.

4. Research http://www.freebsd.org/.  It will provide you with a wealth of
information, including questions about basic system configuration, as well
as the ports system, i.e.
http://www.freebsd.org/ports/lang.html#perl-5.00502

5. You should try to phrase your questions as exactly as possible.  Quoting
an error message like "command not found" might be helpful; on the other
hand, the people you're asking here are expecting of the person asking any
such questions that he or she understands what he/she is asking, and that
the error message itself should provide adequate information to resolve the
problem.

6. If you really want the source to FreeBSD's sh(1), see
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ and
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvweb.cgi/src/bin/sh/

7. Just because I answered this mail, just *don't* take it for granted I'll
be answering any other mail of yours on Linux or perl questions.

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke
Muehlendamm 12            Phone: +49-40-256848, +49-177-3504009