Date:      Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:35:54 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Dmitry Pryanishnikov <dmitry@atlantis.dp.ua>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   kgdb problem

Hello!

   I'm trying to use kgdb in 6.0-BETA1 (on i386). It seems that either I'm
doing something wrong, or kgdb is broken. I've got valid crashdump (at least
info.0 file says so, and 'file vmcore.0' says that it's an ELF file), but
'core-file' command fails:

root@homelynx# kgdb
[GDB will not be able to debug user-mode threads: /usr/lib/libthread_db.so:
Undefined symbol "ps_pglobal_lookup"]
GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
This GDB was configured as "i386-marcel-freebsd".
(no debugging symbols found)...#0  0x00000000 in ?? ()
(kgdb) exec-file /boot/kernel/kernel.debug
(kgdb) symbol-file /boot/kernel/kernel.debug
Reading symbols from /boot/kernel/kernel.debug...done.
(kgdb) core vmcore.0
warning: "/usr/var/crash/vmcore.0": no core file handler recognizes format,
  using default
warning: you won't be able to access this core file until you terminate
  your kernel core files.; do ``info files''
(kgdb) info files
Symbols from "/boot/kernel/kernel.debug".
kernel core files.:
Segmentation fault: 11
root@homelynx#

How can I analyze vmcore file?