Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 14:17:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@apc.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2 simple questions

On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, Dima Dorfman wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I know these questions are kinda stupid but...
>
> 1)	How do I create a FreeBSD boot disk?  I need to change the root password
> on a 	Linux system, and all I need is a working UNIX system that is capable
> of 	mounting ext2fs.

I don't think you can use FreeBSD tools to fix Linux passwords, but you
can try making a kernel with `options EXT2FS', kzip it, and stick it on a
floppy.

> 2) How can I chmod/chown a directory so that everyone in a specific
> group can write to it, but not delete a file that they don't own.
> Here's an example: (not realistic, but it's understandable)

You want to set the sticky bit on the directory and give the group write
permissions, which is defined as `append-only mode.' The user overrides
this restriction. See sticky(8) for details.