Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 1998 20:54:51 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk, mike@smith.net.au, joelh@gnu.org, tlambert@primenet.com, tom@uniserve.com, gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG, irc@cooltime.simplenet.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Download of FreeBSD 3.0-SNAP

> > According to Kirk, 16 to 32 is the right number of cylinder groups,
> > all over 50 is waste.  we can end up with 200+ cgs on modern disks :-(
>
> Yay, even less locality of reference.  You were paying attention to the
> thread on inode allocation policies that went past just recently?

I was.  You were intentionally creating a large directory tree
depth first.

The correct answer _is not_ to muck up allocation policies.

The correct answer _is_ to create the directory tree breadth-first.

Whether this means you use the tool that BSD intends you use (mtree),
or whether you reorder the contents of the archive, is really
irrelevent.  The point is we know *what* to do, and it doesn't
matter *how* it gets done.

> > >There's no such thing as "true geometry" anymore.
> >
> > Well, there is, but we'd like to avoid having to deal with it.
>
> Gawd, and the pedants out from the voodvork came.

Pedants are why the Internet operates at all... 8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.