Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 2010 20:55:31 +0200
From:      "Spenst, Aleksej" <Aleksej.Spenst@harman.com>
To:        "freebsd-pf@freebsd.org" <freebsd-pf@freebsd.org>
Subject:   For better security: always "block all" or "block in all" is enough?

Hi All,

I have to provide for my system better security and I guess it would be bet=
ter to start pf.conf with the "block all" rule opening afterwards only thos=
e incoming and outcoming ports that are supposed to be used by the system o=
n external interfaces. However, it would be easier for me to write all pf r=
ules if I start pf.conf with "block in all", i.e. if I block only traffic c=
oming in from the outside and open all ports for outgoing traffic.

- Incoming ports: only udp/68 (for dhcp client) and http/80 (for http serve=
r) always open;
- Outgoing ports: all ports always opened. All traffic going outside from t=
he system has "keep state";

What disadvantages does it have in term of security in comparison with "blo=
ck all"? In other words, how bad it is to have all outgoing ports always op=
ened and whether someone can use this to hack the sysem?

Thanks a lot for any tips!!
Aleksej.