Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 2008 23:13:32 +0200
From:      Laszlo Nagy <gandalf@shopzeus.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Filesystem of choice for a Linux/FreeBSD shared backup disk?

> For making backups I would probably just use FAT32 and tar, because
> practically anything (not just FreeBSD & Linux) will mount FAT32 file
> systems, and tar should respect your file attributes (owner, group,
> creation timestamp, last modified timestamp, etc).

Except that you cannot create files with >4GB size on FAT32. You might
be able to use an archiver that is able to split archives into smaller
parts.

This has always been a problem. FreeBSD is open source. So Linux is, but
they do not have a common filesystem that could be accessed from both
system, WITHOUT compromises. :-(

Best,

   Laszlo