Date:      Sat, 12 Jul 2014 12:33:23 +0000
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        =?windows-1252?Q?Olivier_Cochard-Labb=E9?= <olivier@cochard.me>
Cc:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, John Jasem <jjasen@gmail.com>, Navdeep Parhar <nparhar@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: tuning routing using cxgbe and T580-CR cards?

On 12 Jul 2014, at 12:17 , Olivier Cochard-Labb=E9 <olivier@cochard.me> =
wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 8:03 PM, Bjoern A. Zeeb <
> bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net> wrote:
>=20
>> If you are primarily forwarding packets (you say "routing" multiple =
times)
>> the first thing you should do is turn off LRO and TSO on all ports.
>>=20
>=20
> Hi Bjoern,
>=20
> I was not aware of disabling LRO+TSO for forwarding packet.
> If I read correctly the wikipedia page of LRO[1]: Disabling LRO is not =
> concern of performance but only of not breaking the end-to-end =
principle,
> right ?
> But regarding TSO[2]: It should improve performance only between the =
TCP
> and IP layer. But paquet forwarded didn't have to cross TCP<->IP =
layer,
> then disabling TSO should not impact performance, right ?

For forwarding it means that you are re-assembling a packet on receive, =
buffering multiple, etc, then hand them up the stack, only to find that =
you are sending it out again, and thus you break them into multiple =
packets again.   In other words:  you do a lot more work and add latency =
than you need/want.

I seem to remember that we added the knob to automatically disable our =
soft-LRO when forwarding is turned on (but I haven=92t checked if I =
really did).  If we did, at least for soft-LRO you won=92t notice a =
difference indeed.

> - Multi-flows (different UDP ports) of small packet (60B) at about =
10Mpps
> =85

> No difference proven at 95.0% confidence
>=20
> =3D> There is not difference: Then I can disable LRO for respecting =
the
> end-to-end principle. But why disabling TSO ?

Try TCP flows.

=97=20
Bjoern A. Zeeb             "Come on. Learn, goddamn it.", WarGames, 1983