Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 2021 17:34:20 +0000
From:      Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update doesn't increment update from 12.2-p4 to 12.2-p5

On 26/03/2021 15:42, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 15:36:20 +0000
> tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net> wrote:
>
>> so I run freebsd-update install, it all installs, then reboot.
>> But uname -a still says 12.2-p4
>
> 	<sigh> That is because uname -a shows the kernel version and there
> were no kernel changes between p4 and p5. It is for this reason that
> freebsd-version was written - that will show you both kernel and userland
> versions.

As a public service announcement for those who have missed it,
freebsd-version can show you the kernel version on disk (-k), the kernel
version actually running (-r) and the userland version (-u). The first
two may differ if you've done an update but haven't rebooted yet.

--
The number of people predicting the demise of Moore's Law doubles
every 18 months.