Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 2004 02:14:59 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Matt Rowley <matt@arin.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.3 and Adaptec raidutils (again)

In the last episode (Dec 16), Matt Rowley said:
> > In order for the asr(4) utilities to work under FreeBSD 5.x someone
> > just needs to convert the ports/sysutils/asr-utils port I made to
> > build from sources as a first step -- patch submission welcomed.
>
> Incidentally, the source code won't build under FreeBSD 5.3.
> It barfs out with:
> scsi_obj.cpp:424: error: cannot bind packed field
> `basic_P->dptBasic_S::attachedTo' to `uLONG&
>
> I believe that "cannot bind packed field" stuff is a restriction introduced
> in gcc 3.4.2, yes?

Yes; you can work around it by declaring a temp variable, assigning it
the value of attachedTo, making whatever modification is necessary,
then assigning attachedTo=temp.  Do this every time you get that error.
You /might/ also be able to just remove the PACKed attribute from the
attachedTo field, but that will cause havoc if the struct is supposed
to line up with something generated by the card.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com