Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2007 17:46:46 -0500
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@csail.mit.edu>
To:        =?iso-8859-2?Q?K=F8i=B9tof_=AEelechovski?= <giecrilj@stegny.2a.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-standards@freebsd.org
Subject:   return value of fprintf

<<On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 22:31:50 +0100, K=F8i=B9tof =AEelechovski <giecri=
lj@stegny.2a.pl> said:

> The latter is correct: I get printf("abcd") =3D=3D 4 even under >/dev=
/full.
> (uname is Interix on x86 ver. 3.5)

The FreeBSD C library is only supported as an integral part of the
FreeBSD operating system.

> However, the former is not: according to the ANSI C standard
> <http://www.open-std.org/JTC1/SC22/WG14/www/docs/n1124.pdf>; , =A77.19=
.6.1/14,
> printf should return a negative value in this case.

The standard makes no such requirement; neither an encoding error nor
an I/O error can ever be encountered in this example.  The error
condition will not be detected until the stream's buffer is flushed,
as by fflush() or fclose().

-GAWollman