Date:      Sat, 24 Dec 2005 17:57:56 -0500
From:      Yuval Levy <yuval_levy@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Postfix 2.2.7, 1 (portupgrade from 2.2.5_1,   1) on FreeBSD 5 stable

Melvyn Sopacua wrote:
> Sorry -- I assumed you knew more about it.
> Did you get a dialog at all?

Thank you very much for your support. I think I solved my problem and I hope that what I found will help others, so here it is, in painful detail, with some questions raised.

After synchronizing with the latest ports collection with cvsup, I tried again portupgrade postfix.

Yes, i got the dialog to enter the options (which I did: sasl2, spf, tls, mysql, vda). Then, after some output, came the following:

=> postfix-2.2.5-vda.patch.gz doesn't seem to exist in /usr/ports/distfiles/postfix.
=> Attempting to fetch from http://www.ipnet6.org/postfix/download/.
fetch: http://www.ipnet6.org/postfix/download/postfix-2.2.5-vda.patch.gz: Not Found
=> Attempting to fetch from http://web.onda.com.br/nadal/postfix/VDA/.
fetch: postfix-2.2.5-vda.patch.gz: local modification time does not match remote
=> Attempting to fetch from ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/postfix/.
fetch: ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/postfix/postfix-2.2.5-vda.patch.gz: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
=> Couldn't fetch it - please try to retrieve this
=> port manually into /usr/ports/distfiles/postfix and try again.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/mail/postfix.
*** Error code 1

> If so, can you do the following and provide the output:
> cd /usr/ports/mail/postfix
> make clean patch
> make -V PATCH_SITES

I try what you write above and I now understand that the port wants to download the patch from web.onda.com.br, so I assume I can trust it.

Since it starts to become clear to me that I will not be able to simply portupgrade, I tried a radical approach:

cd /usr/ports/mail/postfix
make distclean

same options (sasl2, spf, tls, mysql, vda)

and now it got further, though it failed at

Making all in tests
Making all in docs
===>  Installing for libspf2-1.0.4

===>  libspf2-1.0.4 conflicts with installed package(s):
      libspf2-1.2.5

      They install files into the same place.
      Please remove them first with pkg_delete(1).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/mail/libspf2-10.
*** Error code 1

To my unexperienced eye, this looks as if the ports refer to an older library and for some reason a newer one is installed. Knowing that SPF is purely for email I wonder how the newer library got into the system and why the postfix port uses the older one but I guess it is a detail and it won't do any bad to revert to the older library (this is not a public email system anyway)

cd /usr/ports/mail/spf2
make deinstall

and i tried again to install postfix

cd / usr/ports/postfix
make distclean
make
make deinstall
make install

it worked!!!

so thank you very much for putting me on the right direction. I've learned something new and I am sure that there is more to learn. What if this was a production system? wouldn't make deinstall break the flow of emails?

Now I hope that this report is helpful to others in my situation, and even more I hope that it will be helpful for the port maintainer to clean up the port (if possible) so that next time users like me can "fire and forget", i.e. only issue a portupgrade -a and trust the system, the same way I am used to automatically trust Red Hat's up2date or Microsoft's Windows Update.

Merry Christmas!
Yuv