Date:      Sat, 10 Feb 1996 13:44:00 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        hm@altona.hamburg.com
Cc:        fyeung@fyeung5.netific.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISDN devices supported?

> From the keyboard of francis yeung:
>
> > 	Or any ISA ISDN cards that support CAPI which is used by
> > 	the current ISDN driver. The German ISDN cards all support
> > 	CAPI which is developed in Germany. However, I have a hard
> > 	time in ordering  one here in US.
>
> The "CAPI"'s supplied for the ISDN boards are TSR's for MS-@#$ and are
> not usable under FreeBSD.
>
> Some intelligent ISDN boards have a more or less stripped down CAPI in
> firmware, but these implementations have not much in common with the
> CAPI specs and are provided to make the programming of the real CAPI
> easier.
>
> There is a CAPI 1.1 and 2.0 spec available for Unix, but it is STREAMS
> based and - because CAPI is a spec to interface a particular hardware
> to a programming interface - it must be written for every piece of
> hardware.
>
> So i doubt we ever get a CAPI interface for *BSD although it would be
> a very good thing to have.

Depends.

Is there a NetWare server ODI CAPI driver for the card?

How about a 32 bit NDIS CAPI driver for the card?

If the answer to either one is "yes", then you can use it under BSD,
assuming you implement a kernel environment capable of accepting
protected mode ODI drivers or protected mode NDIS drivers.

This wouldn't be as hard as it sounds.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---