Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2002 14:13:23 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        jason+freebsd@kanda.com
Cc:        Richard <guyuan@telpacific.com.au>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to disallow a certain user or group to access a directory and  all          other users will not be affected

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Jan Grant wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Mar 2002 jason+freebsd@kanda.com wrote:
> >
> > Not quite so, typically you use permissions to grant access, ie. user x
> > can read/write these files, group y can only read these files and everyone
> > else has no access.
> >
> > Permissions can be turned on their head a bit, eg: user x has no access,
> > group y has read only access and everyone else can do anything with them.
> >
> > With thoughtful use of groups, you should be able to emulate some ACL
> > functionality, although it will be fiddlier than with ACLs.
>
> Yeah; but the problem is that dropping out of a group isn't hard -
> otherwise I would've mentioned it :-)

Actually, now that I thikn about it, what I wrote isn't fair in the
slightest. The same kinds of loopholes that can be used to drop out of
groups (generally, going through something that doesn't initgroups
properly - eg, a non-suexecing apache) could very well be used to avoid
group-based ACLs too.

Talk is cheap: free, as in beer. As in Real Ale, not that Budweiser rubbish.