Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2007 00:31:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org>
To:        kline@tao.thought.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, almarrie@gmail.com, ade@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: devel/libtool15 doesn't build in 2 of my servers

On  4 Feb, Gary Kline wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 09:55:35PM -0800, Don Lewis wrote:
>> On  2 Feb, Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri wrote:

>> > configure.ac:53: error: Autoconf version 2.59c or higher is required
>> > aclocal.m4:387: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE is expanded from...
>> > configure.ac:53: the top level
>> > autoheader: autom4te failed with exit status: 1
>> >  at /usr/local/bin/autoheader line 163
>> > *** Error code 1
>> >
>> > Stop in /usr/ports/devel/libtool15/work/libtool-1.5.22/libltdl.
>>
>> I just ran into this same problem.  I tracked the cause to some old
>> copies of the auto* tools installed under /usr/local/bin without any
>> version suffix.  These files were unclaimed by any currently installed
>> port.  The libtool build was using these older executables instead of the
>> newer ones with the version suffix and running into problems because the
>> tools were too old.  I deleted these old files and now the libtool build
>> succeeds.
>>

> 	Hm, I wonder if these auto* tools interfer with my building of
> 	lang/php4.  (On my web server, PHP fails and firefox can't display
> 	anything.)  I see a whole slew of auto* files in /usr/local/bin.
> 	Do you remember which binaries you rm'd??

autoconf
autoheader
autom4te
autoreconf
autoscan
autoupdate

The libtool build was failing because it was finding autoconf without
the version suffix. The files that I deleted were all several years old,
even though I did a "portupgrade -af" sometime last year.

Try checking all of the questionable files with "pkg_info -W" so see if
they are claimed by any ports.