Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 18:14:17 +1100
From:      Christopher Vance <vance@aurema.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   staroffice52

I've been using staroffice52 on -STABLE for the last few weeks,
installing it off a genuine Sun CD and running with linux_base-6.1.
For a while it worked fine.  (Didn't with linux_base-7, though.)

I have in the last few days been attempting to upgrade gnome, kde, and
other packages from sources, mostly via portupgrade, and find that
staroffice has ceased to work.

As part of a regular tidy-up, I removed my kde and gnome config files,
and the user part of the staroffice install, but now when I redo the
install-user part of staroffice, it always pretends to succeed, but
every time I attempt to start the program, it tells me that
user/sofficerc was not found, and tries to "repair" it.  I say "yeah,
you do that", and it again pretends to work, leaving me in the same
state.

Fearing I might have messed up some libraries in my obviously
misguided attempt to upgrade gnome & kde, I have since reinstalled the
older versions I got off the 4.4 CDROMs, as well as reinstalling
linux_base-6.1.  Still no banana.  I've also updated kernel and
modules, as of today, still to no avail.  (The file that staroffice
says is missing is definitely visible to /compat/linux/bin/sh and to a
regular non-emulator shell, so I wonder if staroffice is getting
confused by one of its libraries.)

I find I'm using or wanting to use a number of things which are done
using linux emulation, and I'm not confident it's doing the job right.
I had thought I'd finally found something to let me view and modify
documents people send me in <that-proprietary> format.

Does anybody know what I should do here?  Downgrade a particular
library?  Install something else?  Wordperfect?  Openoffice?  (Both of
these also seem to rely on linux emulation.)  Panic?  Give up and
install DeadRat (kidding, right? please)?

--
Christopher Vance