Date:      Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:48:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        Bashar <big@kuwaitnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: from 5.4-PRERELEASE -> 5.3-RELEASE-p5 error?

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, Bashar wrote:

> >>first i ran RELENG_5 and when i got the 5.4-PRERELEASE (which
> >>incompatible with cPanel.net software) i had to run cvsup with RELENG_5_3
> >>after than i started getting those errors
> >
> >You're leaving out important details, like what you did after you cvsup'd.
> >
> the usual ,cvsup'ed then cd /usr/src && make buildworld && make
> installworld && cd /sys/i386/conf && config mykernel && cd
> ../compile/mykernel && make depend && make && make install && reboot

This is probably where you went wrong. By not using buildkernel it may
have still compiled against the -PRERELEASE headers.

I'm not sure how to fix you at this point ... If cpanel has hardcoded
assumptions about the release name you may need to fake it out by hacking
src/sys/conf/newvers.sh to rename it back to "5.3-STABLE" and then be
caereful to repply the fix after every cvsup.  However I'm not sure how to
get your world back to a functional state without reinstalling...

You should also file a bug with the cpanel folks and have them handle the
name changes more gracefully.

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org