Date:      Thu, 6 Jul 2000 22:45:19 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        jayanth <jayanth@yahoo-inc.com>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: deleting cloned routes

On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, jayanth wrote:

> One of the issues during a syn flood is that the routing table
> fills up easily because of the cloned routes being generated.
>
> In Freebsd current, an incomplete connection is randomly dropped
> when the listen queue overflows. This logic could be easily extended
> by deleting the cloned route that is associated with the connection
> being dropped , if there is no information cached for that route.
>
> Is this a reasonable fix ?
>
> jayanth

Seems to make sense on the surface to me.  But, I haven't ever looked at
the route code, so I have one more question:  Even with the routes deleted
won't you still end up with a bloated, fragmented route table?

(Granted, it'll cap the growth by a large amount, so it should still be a
big win.)

Mike "Silby" Silbersack