Date:      Mon, 09 Jun 2008 13:18:22 +0300
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonicy@otenet.gr>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jes=FAs_Casquero?= <jcasquero@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7: i386 or AMD64 install ??

Jesús Casquero wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
>   I have a question about FreeBSD 7. I have a new laptop (HP Pavillion
> 6600 series) whose principal function will be programming (Ruby on
> rails) and a little multimedia and CD,DVD toasting stuff.
>
>   I have seen there is a FreeBSD/amd64 Project which covers the
> FreeBSD port to AMD's AMD64 and Intel 64 architecture [1]. The laptop
> has an Intel Core Duo T8100, 64 bits, processor and 3 GB of memory.
>
>   Should I install this version or should I switch to the 386 version
> ? I am looking for good stability compiling with Ruby and enough
> support of the main devices: Intel Pro 3945 wireless card (through wpi
> I have read), nvidia driver, etc. These last tips are done with basic
> funcionality.
>
>   Is there something that it I have to bear in mind? I have searched
> the list before posting but I have not found anything definitive
>
> Thanks very much in advance.
> Regards
> Jesus.
>
> [1] http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/amd64.html

I have a more or less similar laptop.
Notice you will get stuck with the open source "nv" driver. There is no
proprietary nvidia driver for amd64. This will definitely slow down your
X experience.
The 3945 wireless works, although it does have some random problems
(disconnects, error messages etc.). I suggest you do a test install and
see how it goes. You may have other problems (e.g. ACPI related). CD/DVD
burning should be no problem, and mplayer will probably cover your
multimedia needs. But better test and see.
You could also definitely install the 32bit version which will give you
best X performance.