Date:      Thu, 22 Sep 2005 05:03:13 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposed addition to the handbook http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using.html

On 2005-09-21 19:22, Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com> wrote:
>On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 03:04:46PM -0500, Josh Paetzel wrote:
>> Another question would be if this would go beyond the 'basic
>> instructions' statement at the top of the page.
>
> There is a lot of information that is IMHO missing on the various
> strategies to keep up with and use the Ports Collection (portupgrade,
> cvsup, and portsnap all deserve their own sections).  There is a
> little bit at the end of the Porter's Handbook but IMHO the PH is too
> large anyways, and ought to be reoriented into just something targeted
> at maintainers.
>
> What do people think: should this information be in some kind of
> expanded section in the Handbook?  Or a separate Article?

I'm always in favor of splitting the documentation to at least three
types of documents:

	- Administrator documentation
	- End-user documentation
	- Developer documentation

So, I'm in favor of keeping this out of the Porter's Handbook, which
should orbit ever closer to the third type (developer docs).

- Giorgos