Date:      20 Jan 2002 10:05:00 -0800
From:      Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@artlogix.com>
To:        Simon Siemonsma <simon.freebsd@hccnet.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building postfix from ports

Simon Siemonsma <simon.freebsd@hccnet.nl> writes:

| When I type make in /usr/ports/postfix I get asked if want to install stuff
| like:
| 	Perl Compatible Regular Expressions
| 	Curus SASL
| 	Berkeley DB3
| 	MySQL map lookups
| 	OpenLDAP map lookups
| 	SMTP/LMTP test server and generator
| 	Secure Sockets Layer and Transport Layer Security
| 	IPv6 support
|
| What the hell is this? I just want to build postfix.

That's a little like telling the car salesman that you just want a car, and
don't care whether it's an automatic or manual transmission.

In order:

     * 	Perl Compatible Regular Expressions

        If you're a Perl user, this can be very useful, as you can use all the
        Perl regex syntax you're familiar with.  If you're not, you'll find
        this confusing.  So use this if you're a Perl user.

     * 	Cyrus SASL

        If you use Cyrus as your IMAP server, set this; if not, don't.

     * 	Berkeley DB3

        If you've installed db3 on your system, you may want to use this.  db3
        is a fast, if minimalist, database system that Postfix can use to speed
        up lookups.  If you don't use db3 on your system, or have a fairly
        small mail installation, don't use this.

     * 	MySQL map lookups

        If you have MySQL on your system, you have the option of telling
        Postfix that you want to use it for map lookups.  If you don't, or if
        you have a small mail installation, don't use it.

     * 	OpenLDAP map lookups

        If you're using OpenLDAP, you can use it for map lookups instead.  If
        you don't, or you have a small mail installation, don't use it.

     * 	SMTP/LMTP test server and generator

        Almost certainly unnecessary for your installation.

     *	Secure Sockets Layer and Transport Layer Security

        If you want to use SSL or TLS for mail transfer, use this.  If not,
        don't.

     * 	IPv6 support

        If you're using IPv6 addresses, you'll want to use this.  If not,
        don't.

The postfix port tries to make this really, really easy for you, but perhaps it
would be better if it provided a little more explanation for the options.  In
any case, it's not trying to be confusing.

If you don't like this, then you definitely don't want to install ghostscript.
:)