Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 1996 11:15:00 -0800
From:      freebsd@newtrend.com (FreeBSD)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Long login name question

Hi, can someone tell me whether there is a way to use long login name (
longer than 8 characters ) since the adduser will take a login name of up to
8 characters long.

I have tried using something like "adduser -batch webmaster users 'Web
Master' password" and got a cannot chown message during execution. But the
adduser program added a entry in /etc/passwd, /etc/group and
/etc/master.passwd correctly. The default home directory /home/webmaster
also created correctly but with owner root. When tried to chown owner of
/home/webmaster to webmaster I got the same cannot chown message or some
other invalid user name message.

Thanks.