Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 13:09:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Steve Tremblett <sjt@cisco.com>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD Magazine

+--- Joe.Warner@smed.com wrote:

| Why is everyone concerned with the traditional publishing model?
|
| I wouldn't say everyone but speaking for myself, I like something
| that has great content, illustrations and something I can hold
| in my hands and read.  The same goes for books and reference
| manuals.  I don't know if it's because it's just what I'm used
| to and I don't know if I would have the same preference if I
| learned to read online and had never picked up a hard copy
| publication.

How about the best of both worlds?  A proposal could be made to
Daemonnews or some other online publication to generate printable
versions of their publications.  Of course that would move the focus
from the reader discussion solely onto the articles, which could be a
factor.  Not to say that the articles aren't significant, but these
sites often take on a community-life of their own.

These slashdot-style sites all have automated architectures - I doubt
it would be a big deal to run an article set through some formatting
templates and generate a printable newsletter to co-incide with the
online version.

It doesn't put it on a newsstand in front of Joe Average's face, but
it is a start.  Maybe computer stores with a BSD affinity could print
a bunch and stack them with other free computer papers.

Just a thought...

--
Steve Tremblett
Cisco Systems