Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 2002 08:37:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        dan@langille.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup doesn't get me what I want

In article <20020604012638.7CCF63F3A@bast.unixathome.org>,
Dan Langille <dan@langille.org> wrote:
> Folks, I'm having trouble understanding this problem.  I'm trying to use
> cvsup to get stuff onto my website.  This supfile gets things out of the
> tree
>
> $ less ~/phpAdsNew-supfile
> *default host=xeon
> *default base=/usr/websites/freshports
> *default release=cvs
> *default delete use-rel-suffix
> *default umask=007
> *default preserve
> *default tag=.
> freshports-phpAds
>
> But what I really want is tag=FreshPorts2 but if I use that, I don't get
> anything out of the repo.
>
> The tags exist:
>
> However, for example:
>
> $ cvs stat -v ChangeLog
> File: ChangeLog         Status: Up-to-date
>
>    Working revision:    1.1.1.1 Tue Jun  4 01:01:32 2002
>    Repository revision: 1.1.1.1 /home/repositories/freshports-
> 1/phpPgAds/ChangeLog,v
>    Sticky Tag:          FreshPorts2 (revision: 1.1.1.1)
>    Sticky Date:         (none)
>    Sticky Options:      (none)
>
>    Existing Tags:
>         cvs                             (revision: 1.1.1.1)
>         FreshPorts2                     (revision: 1.1.1.1)
>

> I just don't get it.  Why doesn't tag=FreshPorts2 work?

You should get rid of the "preserve" keyword in your supfile.  It
doesn't really make any sense when working in checkout mode.  But
that's probably not the problem.

I'll help you figure this out if you'll send me the following
information:

    The cvsupd server config files for the collection ("releases"
    and the list file).

    The full pathnames of the cvsupd server config files for the
    collection.

    The command line used to invoke cvsupd.

    The full pathname of the ChangeLog RCS file you used as your
    example, on the server machine.

    The output of "rlog -h ChangeLog,v" on that file on the server.

    The command line used to invoke cvsup on the client machine.

    The output of
	find /usr/websites/freshports/sup -name 'refuse*'
    on the client machine.

    The output of "cvsup -v" on the client and "cvsupd -v" on the
    server.  Please be careful to ensure that your PATH is really
    finding the same copies of these programs that your cron job or
    other mechanism normally executes.

John
--
  John Polstra