Date:      Tue, 17 Jan 2006 12:31:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      mdh <mdh_lists@yahoo.com>
To:        Robert Slade <bsd@bathnetworks.com>, Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
Cc:        "freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org" <freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: sparc64/91882: Ultra 10 mouse/keyboard

--- Robert Slade <bsd@bathnetworks.com> wrote:

> >      m> It feels like this is a recurring question
> on a weekly basis,
> >      m> I'd be more than willing to write a big
> ole document
> >
> > Why not just fix the Xorg installed to have a
> working config file?
> > Then the questions will disappear without training
> people to jump
> > through meaningless hoops like Linux-using circus
> animals.
>
> The problem is not with Xorg, that works. The actual
> problem is that
> during install the mouse demon is not installed
> unlike the i386 fbsd
> version. In addition, the problem report was
> addressed to a lack of
> mouse drivers which was incorrect.
>
> If the OP had googled for an answer he would have
> found it. I know
> because one of the posts was mine.
>
> However, I would humbly suggest that issue is
> addressed in the errata.
> Rob

In FreeBSD6.0 on SPARC64, moused is installed
normally... I can't speak for previous versions and
6.0-R is the first I've personally used on SPARC64.
It also is possible that it's in a different set (I
always manually pick and install pretty much
everything except for 'info' and 'games' ;-)) but if
that is the case, it seems a bit silly.

But yeah, the info the OP needs is definitly in our
list archives - still not sure why he would've only
searched for "sunmouse" (Linux has a /dev/sunmouse,
but that's the only time I can ever remember seeing
that particular name).

To address the suggestion of "simply having the
installed Xorg contain a working config file" - if you
follow the FreeBSD handbook, you will end up having
Xorg generate a config based on what it thinks exists,
and modify that to fix anything it got wrong or
whatever.  I'm not sure how well that does with the
keyboard/mouse stuff on FreeBSD/SPARC64.  Regardless,
even if it generates total crud output, it's an Xorg
problem and not a FreeBSD problem.  :-)