Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 2000 11:35:19 -0500
From:      Andrew Gould <AndrewGould@shannonhealth.org>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   1st FreeBSD install - misc questions

I am trying to make the conversion from Linux to FreeBSD; and I have a few
questions:

1. How do you check for free memory in FreeBSD? (I'm looking for the
equivalent of Linux's 'free'.)

2. How can I tell if swap is being used appropriately? (I'm used to seeing a
swap entry in /etc/fstab.)

3. What's the best way to move MySQL tables from an ext2 slice to an FreeBSD
(ffs or ufs?) slice?  The slices are on different hard drives; but in the
same system.

4. Will I lose any functionality in FreeBSD if I continue to use bash?  Do I
need to learn csh (root's default shell)?

5. I've noticed that many FreeBSD users use applications that are written
for Linux. What is the appropriate way to install a Linux application? Do I
need to compile from source?

Thank you for your help and your patience,

Andrew