Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 17:49:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      Gerry Freymann <freymann@marlo.eagle.ca>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Questions after doing a cvsup

I had originally installed Freebsd 4.1.1-stable.

I thought it would be a good idea to cvsup to the latest, so I used the
instructions at http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd to guide me
through my task.

As always, there were differences in the instructions and what really
happened.

I did:

-buildworld
-buildkernel
-installkernel
(then in single user mode)
cd /usr/src
make installworld

Update /etc
cp -Rp /etc /etc.old
/usr/sbin/mergemaster -v

cd /dev
./MAKEDEV all

Update stand
cd /usr/src/release/sysinstall
make clean
make all install

Great eh! When I rebooted, I saw the new kernel loading, but the hostname
was forgotten and no network stuff loaded.

Is there anything that talks about "mergemaster?" I have to admit I didn't
really know wtf was going on there.

I eventually decided just to rename /etc to /etc.new and my /etc.old back
to /etc and reboot. Voila! My machine knows who it is, all the network
stuff loads and the other boot up stuff in /usr/local/etc/rc.d loads.

Confusing to this first-timer.

Now when I go into /stand/sysinstall, do post config, and opt to install
premade freebsd packages, when I select an FTP server, it says it doesn't
have the files for 4.2-Beta! even ftp.freebsd.org! ug!

Does this mean I should stick to using the files on my hard drive now? A
pkg_version -v shows there are some items that can be updated.

Tips? Suggestions? I have another machine to do the same things with next
week. Would like to head into it slightly smarter ;-)

Thanks.

-Gerry