Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 2001 01:20:48 +0200
From:      Stefan KORONKA <KoronkaS@interscope.ro>
To:        'Petros Sidiropoulos' <pesid@kav.forthnet.gr>, freeBSD-newbies@Freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: plan to install FreeBSD 4.2

> hello, I need some advice
> My system is K6-350MHz, 128 MB RAM and I have two Hard
> disk(one 20GB and one
> 8GB)
> The first disk (primary master) is as follows:
> 1 partition (C: 14GB), I use this partition for windows me.
> 2 partition (D: 5GB), "" for windows 2000
> 3 partition (Linux native 1GB)
> 4 partition (Linux Swap 200MB)
>
> I plan to partition the second disk (primary slave) like this :
> 1 partition (FreeBSD)
> 2 partition (NetBSD)
> 3 partition (OpenBSD)
> 4 partition (GNU/Hurd) I already have this partition.
> Is all that sufficient ?

i think that 7 OSes on one system can be considered "sufficient" :)

> Do I have any problem with boot all
> of these OSes?

well, what you have to check:

1. the harware is supported by all these os-es.  its seems pretty
standard hardware, so it should not be any problem - but who knows ?!

2. i dunno if linux can boot over the 1024 cylinder - so, putting
it in the end of the 20GB disk might not be such a good idea.  if
it don't boot, you know why (you just have to put the root partition
in the first 1024cyl).

3. find a good boot manager, who fits your needs (booting all that
oses, from the first and second disk).  from my point of view, the
FreeBSD's boot manager is good for this, but you might find something
else.  also, take care where you put lilo (in the mbr if you want to
use it as the boot manager, or better in the first sector of the linux's
partition - so that you can put other boot manager to handle the first
disk).

4. install winme first, win2k second, and the rest should not matter.

for more info regarding the FreeBSD's instalation, you should ask on
questions@freebsd.org;  for the other oses, find the proper lists or
tech support.

stefan