Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 1996 14:03:06 +0000 ()
From:      Jeff Brand <glitch@mail.bw.lgca.ohio.gov>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   A few questions

Ok.. Hopefully these are simple..

First. On a few occasions, users on our system are still logged on to a
port (ttyp,etc) but own no processes on the system. They are also still
on the wholist. Could anyone explain why this might be, how to correct
it, and possibly how to prevent it?

The next question deals with getting a LF into a variable.

In a script like
#!/bin/sh
myvar=$(cat file)
echo "$myvar"

this will echo the file with all of the original LFs. Well, I'd like to
get a variable to do the same thing. I would like to get a series of
stdouts from an awk into the variable, inserting an LF between each.

I've tried printf in the middle, but that hasn't worked. Any hints on a
solution?
Thanks for any help.

- And remember, you are unique... Just like everybody else. -
- Jeff Brand, <glitch@mail.bw.lgca.ohio.gov>                -